We’ve made “Un”…Fun
Given the uncertainty of large group gatherings in Seattle for the foreseeable future, we created a virtual festival to replace our annual live festival in 2020. Running now through Nov 2020, the virtual festival features a variety of online workshops, masterclasses, discussions, movies, games, contests and challenges via Zoom/Facebook/Instagram live/Twitter.
Each month we introduce a theme and work with our sponsors, project leads and this community to develop rich and engaging programming that highlights the sustainability issues we all care about. Some of our activities will be free thanks to business sponsorships or the efforts of community members. Some will be offered for a suggested donation to cover costs and help us cover our annual expenses.
The theme for JULY is WASTE.
Why is waste so important to sustainability? Because everything has to go somewhere. Our “waste” is quickly consuming the planet, when so many products could be reduced, repaired, reused or recycled. We used to think we could just throw things away. We now realize there is no “away!”
- We kick off the month with the Plastic Free Eco-Challenge. Sign up for our team and learn more! (Pssst! We’re looking for an Eco-Challenge sponsor to provide prizes for our team – is that you? read on)
- On July 11, we will host the 11th Annual Edible Garden Tour. Reserve your spot today!
- On July 20, join us and Zero Waste Washington for Meaningful Movies:Sustainable Ballard presents “Bag It” to view and discuss.
- Follow us on social media to compete in this month’s UnFestival Artwork Contest. To enter for a chance to win special prizes.:
- Tag us in a photo of your “trash” artwork, @sustainableballard
- Use hashtag #SBUnFestivalContest
- Tag one friend!
- Date TBD: Join us for a virtual Trash Trivia night – stay tuned.
- More workshops/classes to come.
We are offering a season pass for those who can afford it ($100 members, $150 general public) that covers your donation for all UnFestival activities. There will be many! Every month will include a movie, multiple learning opportunities, and a game, contest or challenge with prizes! All educational events will be recorded and available for viewing at any time on a private YouTube channel for Season Pass holders.
Donations and sponsorship from our annual Sustainable Ballard live Festival make up about 40% of our net annual income. With the help of Sustainable Ballard Board Members, Project Leads, community members and local business sponsors we hope to raise $15,0000 in 2020 through the UnFestival. Will you support us?