From our friends at EcoChallenge.org:
Oh YES, it’s here … summer in the northern hemisphere. It’s a time that brings us backyard barbecues, fun adventures, water sports, and so much more.
To help you get the most out of your summer, we’re sharing ideas for getting outside, finding balance, and helping the planet. When we do good for ourselves and others, and treat the environment with care, we thrive and so do our communities. We hope this list serves as inspiration and motivation for you throughout the summer.
And remember to wear a mask and keep appropriate distances!
- Go for a hike, run, or walk
- Help a neighbor weed their yard
- Volunteer with your local parks conservancy group
- Drink lots of water … and then drink more … and then make sure your pets are drinking lots of water, too
- Look up at the sky and find animal shapes in the clouds
- Observe wildlife and flora in your backyard, document it using iNaturalist
- Play a musical instrument in the grass
- Spend twenty minutes learning something new
- Share what you learned with others
- Donate a bag of groceries (or a few cans) to your local food pantry
- Find a mountain water source and take a cool plunge
- Take a nap in a hammock (in the shade!)
- Explore a new hiking or biking trail
- Strive for zero waste
- Invite your neighbors to a game of hopscotch (with masks!)
- Call a friend just to say hello
- Learn about urban foraging and then see what’s available in your community
- Challenge yourself
- Reduce food waste by starting a compost bin
- Take regular social media and news timeouts
- Read a book under a tree
- Organize a beach or park clean up
- Sit in silence outside and listen to the world around you
- Smile at a stranger
- Try new vegetarian BBQ recipes, such as grilled peaches or sesame and soy watermelon poke
Sustainable Ballard has a team participating in the Plastic-Free EcoChallenge during the month of July. Please join us!
Alongside thousands of people around the world, we are breaking up with the stuff that doesn’t break down. Join us for EcoChallenge.org’s global Plastic Free EcoChallenge! We will collectively strive to live as #PlasticFree as possible.
Registration is open! So come on in, have a look around, select the actions you’d like to commit to, and invite everyone you know who’s ready to get on this bandwagon with us. Here’s the direct link to the Sustainable Ballard Unfestival Team Page.