The Sustainable Ballard DEI Taskforce needs you!
Sustainable Ballard is forming a DEI (Diversity, Equity & Inclusion) Taskforce to identify ways that we can incorporate more BIPOC support and ally activities into the organization. This group meets every two weeks over Zoom and would love some more members!
This summer we are meeting on the following dates from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
June 9 & 23
July 7 & 21
August 4 & 18
Some ideas that have been proposed for this group to address are:
- Research BLM organizations and determine which ones to support and back: Black Lives Matter Seattle King County, WA BLM Alliance, King County Equity Now
- Look internally to see if there are ways to better welcome Black Ballardites into the organization and leadership
- Review Sustainable Ballard’s By-Laws for discriminatory language and policies and propose changes and new pro-active inclusion language.
- Post more social media articles supporting local efforts and speak out against instances of local racism.
- Consider if there are ways to integrate racial justice into existing Sustainable Ballard projects and/or to create policies for new projects that account for this.
- Identify advocacy that we can promote to Ballard neighbors. Create Community Bulletin Board for things to be aware of?
We have information from the NEO Law Group available at http://nonprofitlawblog.com/governance-documents-diversity-equity-inclusion-nonprofits/ that will be helpful, but first we have a lot of listening to do!