Sustainable Ballard supports some of the most progressive activities going on in Ballard today, including projects helping our unhoused neighbors (Bakery & Market Gleaning, Meals with Neighbors, Free Letters Home, Ballard Knitters), promoting the sharing economy (Little Free Libraries, Ballard Tool Library), providing sustainability education and opportunity for action (Idle Free Ballard, RainWise, DEI Taskforce) and more!
We are looking for a few committed and energetic people to join our Board of Directors. Could this be you? You’ll have the opportunity to use your skills to support passionate neighbors who want to create a better world. What might you bring to our board? Familiarity with non-profit management? Ability to recruit friends to volunteer? Eagerness and skills to promote our good works? Time to attend local meetings or lead hands-on activities? Curiosity about what sustainability means today? If you are interested in becoming a Sustainable Ballard board member, please review the job description below and send a statement of your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in being a board member with Sustainable Ballard?
- What do you bring to the role? Skills, experience, attitude, connections, etc.
- What is your connection to Ballard and what does this community mean to you?
The Sustainable Ballard (SB) Board of Directors is responsible for policy decisions related to Sustainable Ballard. The Board is comprised of, but not limited to, all Officers and at least one Board Member At-Large. The total number of members may fluctuate between a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 15 members. Each Board member shall serve a one year term to be renewed yearly at the January Annual meeting. In the event of a resignation or termination of a Board Member, the Board may assign an interim person to fill the vacancy until a permanent successor is determined. We are a “working” board.
Board members’ responsibilities include:
- attending Board meetings and “Advances” (rather than “Retreats”) for focused work
- maintaining oversight of the administrative functions of the organization
- voting on proposals in person or via email (no response by a deadline will be considered consent)
- creating linkages and partnerships within the community and the region
- supporting and conveying Sustainable Ballard’s vision and mission to Ballard and to other communities throughout the region
- supporting one of our 3 behind-the-scenes focuses (Operations, Community Outreach or Projects & Events)
- leading, organizing and/or presenting at SB events as available
The Board of Directors meet for 2 hours every 3 months to make guideline and policy decisions for the Sustainable Ballard organization on the following schedule:
- January – Annual Meeting (review of previous year accomplishments and goals for coming year)
- April – Budget Review and Approval (review of organizational and project budgets)
- July – Volunteer Resources (review of volunteer resources and organizational and project needs)
- Oct – Board Composition (review of current board skills, board renewals and resignations, goals and needs for coming year)
Sub-committee groups meet as needed. 1-2 yearly “advances” may be scheduled at the discretion and initiative of the Board of Directors and shall be open to all project leads and board members.