Bi-Monthly Newsletters/Apr 8, 2013
From Sustainable Ballard
Show Your Love for Sustainable Ballard and help us win $2500
Umpqua Bank is selecting 10 nonprofits and 10 schools to compete for 10 grants of $2500 on Facebook. They want YOUR photos and stories about how we're making a difference in Ballard. The more we post, the better chance we have of winning! Competition for a final spot ends April 14th!
1) Find a photo If you don't have one of your own, find a photo on our website. Our Photo Gallery is a good source.
2) Click here to post a photo and caption. (You'll need to "like" Umpqua to proceed.)
3) Repeat (if you can). Only one post per person per day.
4) View other Sustainable Ballard photos (use the Search box) and share, like, comment and show the love!
If we become a finalist, the winner is determined by Facebook likes, so we'll let you know!!!
Solarize Seattle NW Update
We're getting great results with the Solarize Seattle NW campaign. Over 500 folks have registered for workshops, over 100 have gotten evaluations and at least 30 homeowners have committed Solarize their homes....so far. There is just one final workshop available to qualify for the program AND it's in Ballard - how convenient!!
Final Workshop: April 24th at Ballard Library (see link below for more details). Registration deadline is April 22nd.
If you want to learn more, meet the contractors or see some installations before the workshop, we have 2 great event coming up:
This Thursday join us at Hilliard's for "Solar Happy Hour" (5-7 pm). Enjoy some free pizza thanks to Umpqua Bank. And we'll spot you $1 off your beer if you wear a Sustainable Ballard t-shirt. (No shirt? We'll sell you one for $5!) Meet Solarize contractors, view solar panels and learn more about the program.
April 21st join us for a bike ride to visit Solarize and RainWise installations. Meet at Ballard Commons Park from 12-4. Join a 6-mile guided tour at noon or a 3-mile family-friendly walk/bike at 2 pm.
You can register in person for the Ballard Workshop at both these events.
Here are some other upcoming Events:
Sustainable Ballard Events & Meetings
- Thursday, April 11th, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Sustainable Ballard Solar Happy Hour at Hilliard's
- Cheap Beer, Free Locavore Pizza, and Fab Prizes!
- Hilliard's Taproom • 1550 NW 49th Street
- Friday, April 12th, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Ballard Knitters for the Homeless - Apr 2013
- Knit community and warmers for homeless community members
- Aster Coffee Lounge • 5615 24th Ave NW
- Saturday, April 21st, 12:00 pm long ride, 2:00 pm short ride
- Earth Day Green Ride
- Tour Rain Gardens and Solarize installations with Sustainable Ballard, Ballard Greenways and Ballard Spokespeople
- Meet at Ballard Commons Park • 5701 22nd Ave NW
- Wednesday, April 24th, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Solarize NW Seattle - final Ballard workshop
- Community supported solar for our neighborhood - Register now!!
- Ballard Library • 5614 22nd Ave NW
- Saturday, April 27th, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Gardening Workshop and Plant/Seed Swap
- Gardening 101 Short Course: Three Authors, A Chef and a Whole Lot of Gardening
- Sunset Hill Community Club • 3003 NW 66th St
Other Community Events
- Wednesday, April 10th, 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Ballard District Council - Apr 2013
- Always Open to the Public!
- Thursday, April 11th, 6:15 pm - 7:30 pm
- Climate Change for Families
- Free slideshow and discussion for kids (4th grade and up)
- Saturday, April 13th, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- The RE Store's Recycled Arts Show - Opening
- at Blowing Sands
- Tuesday, April 16th, 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Seattle Speaks - Shaping Seattle Neighborhoods
- In partnership with Seattle Channel & Town Hall Seattle
- Saturday, April 20th, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Electronics Recycling!!
- Bring your recyclable electronics (working or not)
- Saturday, April 20th, 9:30 am (7:30 check-in)
- Seattle Magazine's Earth Day 5K Run
- Run, walk or stroll for a Green Seattle!
- Monday, April 22nd, 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Bullitt Center Grand Opening
- The World's Greenest Commercial Building!
- Monday, April 22nd, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Earth Day Happy Hour
- with Sunergy Systems
- Wednesday, April 24th, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- GoGreen Seattle 2013
- The sustainability conference for business and government - visit this link for a Sustainable Ballard discount
- Saturday, April 27th, 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- 2013 Green Home Tour
- Hosted by Northwest EcoBuilding Guild and Built Green
- Saturday, April 27th
- Cooperative Growing in Your Neighborhood
- 21 Acres & Cascadia Edible Landscapes
- Saturday, May 4th
- Streets and Beets
- A Fundraising Bike Ride for Alleycat Acres
- Saturday, May 11th
- Native Plant Sale
- benefiting Washington Native Plant Society